I grew up on the Central Coast of New south Wales and started fishing when I was 5 on family holidays and then never looked back. I also fly fished for many years before getting the kayak fishing bug.
I started getting into kayak fishing about 5 years ago and then thought I would give the Hobie kayak events a go about 4 years ago. I have been lucky to get some good results over the last couple of years staying up in the top 20. I put that down to fishing with some of the great guys who fish these events and all the time I spend on the water.
I went into 2015 with a goal to make a worlds event and and couldn’t believe my luck when I got a 2nd at Foster in New South Wales and qualified for my first Worlds in China.
It was like all the hard work I put in had finally payed off. I still can’t believe it. Looking forward to going to China with the Aussie team and hopefully bringing home a win and making some new friends along the way.
- How are you feeling as time counts down to the world championships in China?
- I’m getting pretty excited to fish an exotic once in a lifetime location outside of Australia.
- Have you been doing your research? Where and what?
- Been checking out Google maps and any clips of information I can find online.
- What are your thoughts on the target species for the worlds Chinese Perch, Top Mouth Culter and Yellow Cheek Carp?
- They look and sound like some exciting fish to catch and a yellow cheek carp will be definitely on my “to catch list”.
- What rods, reels, lures are you taking?
- I will be running 2 Barra, 2 Bass and 2 Bream Rods from Samaki fitted with Ecooda Reels and I’m still looking into lures.
- Have you formulated a plan of attack?
- Just to do my best and enjoy the experience.
- What do you think will be your biggest challenge?
- Trying to speak Chinese and adapting to suit a new species.
- What do you think of your chances in the worlds?
- Hopefully, I can do well. Luckily I have had the chance to catch a lot of different species over the years in Australia and the UK, so hopefully that can help me out there.
- What team do you think will be the biggest threat? Why?
- You would think China but i think Australia will have a good chance.