I was born into a fishing mad family, both parents were the keenest of anglers. I grew up surf fishing the 90 mile beaches in Victoria along with estuary fishing in the Gippsland lakes & off shore fishing around Port Albert. Christmas holidays were spent at Mallacoota chasing Flathead & Bream.
It was in early 2009 that I was introduced to lure fishing for Bream. I spent the rest of 2009 practicing catching bream on lures. I competed in my first Hobie event at Bemm River in 2010 and ever since have been competing at most Victorian rounds and a few interstate rounds. I have been lucky enough to qualify and fish the grand final every year since 2010.
- How are you feeling as time counts down to the world championships in China?
- I’m feeling excited at the moment but nerves may take over the closer we get.
- Have you been doing your research? Where and what?
- Have been on the internet finding out as much as possible.
- What are your thoughts on the target species for the worlds Chinese Perch, Top Mouth Culter and Yellow Cheek Carp?
- All the species look quite challenging, especially if we get to hook a monster yellow cheek.
- What rods, reels, lures are you taking?
- I will be taking the heaviest Bream gear that I have, and some vibes, plastics, hard bodies.
- Have you formulated a plan of attack?
- Not yet, I will wait to navigation day
- What do you think will be your biggest challenge?
- Trying to locate some fish then what technique to use to catch them.
- What do you think of your chances in the worlds?
- I would like to say pretty good but there will be a lot of great anglers to compete with and anything can happen in fishing.
- What team do you think will be the biggest threat? Why?
- I think that the local team will be a threat as they will have some knowledge on how to catch the target species